Friday, November 18, 2016

Bok Review: Shards of Time (Nightrunner series)



A bit late to the party, but as a yaoi manga and fantasy lover, I was some happy to find a fantasy series where the main couple is m/m. Part of my elation for this is that it isn’t in the m/m romance category, but you can find it in the fantasy section in the bookstore. Alec and Seregil’s relationship is natural, and treated as part of the story, but it not the main focus. It is the backdrop to their adventures and all the trouble they get mixed up in. The bond between them is strong, and we see it in these little moments amongst the greater plot. 

I loved the world Flewelling built, too. It felt like stepping into a classic fantasy world, but original enough that it didn’t feel like I was reading the same story (though I have never been bothered by that. I love a good, generic fantasy tale). The characters were well-developed, and we really come to care about them. The ending was satisfactory, with Alec and Seregil doing what they do best—nightrunning together. I adored these two so much. Seregil made me laugh (and, being as the ‘faie remind me of elves, that made me like him even more), and we get to see Alec grow from an adorable sixteen-year-old orphan to a handsome man in his twenties. I want more of these two!
There are some unanswered questions (like what became of Ilar), and the possibility of future books, but I know Flewelling is taking a break, and also has new stories in mind. I recommend this series to anyone. It’s dark, beautiful, funny, and charming. Five stars for the whole series! Thank you for the wonderful adventure, Lynn Flewelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment