Wednesday, January 27, 2016

A Book Review

The Night Voice (Noble Dead Saga)
The Night Voice: A Novel of the Noble Dead
*spoilers*








It is kind of hard to believe this is the last of the ND saga. I became invested in these characters, and there were several ways the story could end, not all of them happy. It actually ended happier than I was expecting, though there was still some sadness, as was to be expected from a series like this. 

Say what you will about him and his past deeds, but Chane was one of my favorite characters, and I am glad he survived. However, *spoilers* now that Wynn is gone, what is going to happen to him? Her passing was tragic, particularly for him, and I wonder where he will go and what he will do next. Live with Ore-Locks perhaps? At least he got a good 30 years with Wynn, where they lived together and were happy, but it was still sad. 

Wayfarer and Osha (I also find Osha adorable) married, which made me happy, though I wish they had gone into more detail about that. In fact, the lack of detail is my biggest complaint about The Night Voice. It all felt rushed, like the Hendees were just trying to finish the series and get it over with. There was so much leading up to the final confrontation with the Enemy, and there were other plotlines as well, since as the division among the elven castes thanks to Most Aged Father. We don’t get that resolution, and everything was kind of rushed. After several books devoted to hiding the orbs, now suddenly they all had to go back for them? I think things could have been structured differently, and also certain scenes, which should have gotten more detail and attention, were short. For example, Wynn –finally- confesses her feelings for Chane, which the story had been leading up to for a while, or at least some sort of resolution concerning the love triangle. However, when this scene at last occurs, it is rather brief. 

This is just one of the many things I wish they had gone into more detail about. The story was so rich and epic, I felt like they should have given the last boo k that…flare the rest of the series had, but I found it lacking. This isn’t to say I didn’t enjoy the last book. I did, and as I said, it was a lot happier of an ending (minus Bro’tan’s and later Wynn’s, death) that I thought it would be, but it lacked the detail and attention it should have gotten.

It is still a good, suspenseful read, and I recommend it to any ND fan. Most of the characters I love made it through the series, and while I felt there were some loose, unresolved plotlines, it was a good ending as a whole, even if it lacked in some areas. I still enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment